Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Weezypalooooza

This weekend we had what we affectionately called "Weezy-Palooooza"

In case you don't get it, and if you aren't specifically related to me on the Ruckle side I don't know why you would, my maternal grandmother's name is Lousie, we have always called her Weez and Sunday was her 80th birthday. She and my grandpa Ben live in San Diego and they hiked their senior tails up here with a few other family members for a full weekend of birthday celebrations so that my grandparents could be with each one of their three grown children.

My uncle came over from Hawaii, my aunt came up from Monterey and of course, my mommy lives here. The family partied for three straight days which included the traditional birthday breakfast complete with bubble wreath and family pictures at 7:30am at my parents house, BBQ lunch at our new place so everyone could view it and was capped off with the oh-so-traditional Leatherbys dinner on Sunday.

I have a few observations about family get-togethers.

1. They can be extremely stressful when several people that don't normally hang together spend copious amounts of time together in a short period of time.
2. Ignoring things that are annoying is probably better than making it awkward by saying something
3. We spend 1/3 of the time talking about the present and 2/3 of time reminiscing about times past
4. As my grandparents get up there and no one knows how much time we have left when them, these times are meant to be cherished. I only get to see them once or twice a year and every time might be my last. I need to treat it as my last every time, say everything I want to say to them, listen to everything they have to say to me and make sure I tell them how much I love them.
5. Nothing else matters

I love you G-rents

No comments:

Post a Comment